Saturday, February 26, 2011

Preparing for winter

Preparing for winter sounds like a strange task while Perth is about to crack the record of longest period over 35degrees. Another three days and we will be getting there. However some plants seem to cope well with the weather. The sweet potatoes are thrieving and the basil is looking healthy, this variety of basil has very straight flat leaves and is planted in a pot.

I sowed beans seeds into one of my raised garden beds, using toilet rolls and good compost. Now wo weeks after putting them into the ground, I realised that the slater must have had a party at that spot. The young shoots were raiserbladed off at the moment they tried to get out of the ground. This has been a lecture for me. I now have removed all straw and exposed the nicely protected area to the sunlight. Only the basil is doing well in there as well, or should I better say it is surviving ok.

My daughter and I seeded, zucchini, eggplant, kohlrabi and coriander for the cooler season. We put them high up onto a wooden garden table into green plastic seedling pots, 20 together in one tray. My daughter is watering it eagerly in the morning and evening and the pots are in the shade most of the day, onmly the afternoon sun is on them for abut two hours. So far a no-show. But it seems to be working much better than the egg cartone we used at the last try, as these dried out quickly and only two of the 24 seeds have actullay come up, but they are looking quite frail.

The cat has caught another mouse, I found it outside the backdoor, already dead but not nibbled on, on the morning after the last one was caught, This time I did not measure it. But friends told me that once a "Nedlands Possum" reaches 30cm it is definitely no longer a mouse. 

Here you go, medals for the cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment