Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fungus in the worm farm and another rat

The worms are having the same difficulties with the weather as the vegetables, it's too hot and they are cooking. Cold, wet, shreeded  newspaper is halfway successful in keeping them cool, but after three weeks of hot weather it looks like we are loosing the battle.

Also I have imported a fungus into the worm farm, probably through decaying vegetable scraps of fruit from our office compost.  For about one months I saw it developing. The fungus slowly grew and has been taking over first just one tray and after I removedthat tray there were still enough spores left to infest a second one. The removed tray I left out in the sun to dry.

The worms still looked healthy about a week ago, with fat rings around their tummies.  I transferred some of the fat worms to now live under my banana plant and removed further infected materialm this time into the rubbish bin. But the white fungus signs have come back.

I wonder what type of fungus it is and what I can possibly do with it. Or better against it. I might have to chuck out the worms and somehow sterilise the worm farm before getting another lot. I have plenty of worm juice from the past two-three years so I could do without, but I rather use my veggie scraps for these quiet animals.

The cat gave us another present just after dinner tonight I was surprised to see her come in at her own will, as the house is much hotter than outside since we don not have air conditioning. he had a good reason, wanted o be congratulated for another mouse/rat that she caught and presented us with in the kitchen. Luckily it was dead. I got a ruler and measured it from head to tail: 30cm.

What a cat! Reminds me that it's time to mop the kitchen floor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment