Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fruit flies - traps and more

Some of my tomatoes have been showing bite marks made by little creatures daring to share my garden and my produce. I noticed two different ways how my tomatoes were affected. One type bit the tomatoes very close to the stem so they fell off. The two tomatoes on the left were affected that way. When I checked the interior I found that the pest had not gone far inside and I could still eat 90% of the tomato.  The second type looked like a hole was punched into the fruit but I could not find any maggots. More like something has nibbled on it before it grew and the wound was now scarred over.

I was thinking for some time about making fruit fly traps despite not being sure whether the bite marks were actually made by fruit flies. However, I thought I get in my traps early and look for other solutions if I do not catch anthing.

Checking out the internet I found a lot of material and at least two useful videos on Youtube. 
One trap  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBNp8ZUxWA uses a chopped off plastic bottle, glued the top on upside down and inserting a banana before glueing it all together again. Both traps on the right show this model. I put one filled with a banana peel out earlier but all I caught in 24 hours was a cricket and some blind ants. Poor things! Both traps on the left side I filled with the mixture described below. This morning I put all traps into the garden beds but I could not spot any animal trapped. Let's give it more time. 
The second type of trap (left trap in photo) simply inserts a cone shaped paper into a tall glass jar and gluers the paper tightly to the rim so no animal can escape. On the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqIo1387qI&feature=related it was suggested to insert apple cider vinegar but I just run out of that vinegar and did not want to waste my raspberry vinegar.

I filled the bottom of the jar with a different concoction of sweet liquids to entice the little critters to come inside. The composition for the mixture was suggested on Grow It Yourself Australia. I replicate the recipe here:
  • 1/2 litre of water
  • 1/4 tablespoon of Cloudy Ammonia
  • 1/4 a teaspoon of Vanilla Essence 
  • 50 gm of Sugar
  • a bit of Liquid Detergent
  • a blob of Vegemite
Whether it is working in the long run is still to be seen. First tests were rather negative, but may be it's just a testimony of how healthy my garden actually is. You wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment