Saturday, March 5, 2011

New compost tumbler - Osborne Metal Industries

Osborne Metal Industries, formerly from Osborne Park but now registered in NSW, have been producing compost tumblers for about 50 years. I am not sure whether they still make these barrels. Today Julian found one on the verge just around the corner, in perfect condition, a bit rusty, but with all components working well.

What a find! The universe provided again.This is the second composter that came our way and this time without any money involved. I checked e-bay and they are selling for about 80 dollars.

We did more work on the mulch pile and we have probably already shifted half of the pile and the block looks lovesly, especially the front yard. The earth will thank us, we are both sure about that.

I also picked up a Ryobi electric shredder for little bits and pieces to go into the compost. I found it on Gumtree and went to freo to pick it up for $50. The review of the machine were not great but I needed something to cut leaves and thin branches only and hope it will do the job.

1 comment:

  1. I have been growing my own vegetables for decades. I am in no way associated with any compost business and never have been. I have used about 30 types of tumblers and the Osborne tumbler is in my opinion superior to all. With the Osborne the mix has to be 20% dry and very slow turns of 4 revolutions twice a day makes excellent compost in about 24 days. The other tumblers need at least a 30% dry mix with some needing 50%. The Osborne has the drainage holes and the air inlets in the correct place. Keith 8Jan2013

    ReplyDelete